Sunday, November 9, 2014

the art of dying opening

Installation photos from the Chaffee Art Center taken at the end of the evening.


Interstitial Space #7, #8 and #9

Resurrection

Razor's Edge


Flow

Even though its a rare day that goes by when I haven't found myself thinking on the meaning of the phase of life we call death, I wasn't prepared for the intensity of participating in an exhibition centered on that theme.  

The art was heartfelt and sincere; the audience was inquisitive and engaged.  Every floor of the large Chaffee Mansion Gallery was filled with art:  a spoken word recording station, writing, music, sculpture, photography, handmade books, fiber arts and painting, all explorations on the meaning of death in our lives.  It was humbling.  It was amazing.  

For once I didn't feel like the odd girl out - the weird one who spends her time thinking about death and the afterlife.

The show runs until December 5 and I strongly recommend you make the trip.  It is worth the drive.

By the way - on the very dark drive home, traveling through a blackness made even darker by the lack of moon and spitting rain, a coyote ran across the road in front of the car.  He sprinted, head down, right in our path - fortunately Bruce saw him and braked in time.  This is only the second coyote I have ever seen . . .  Gives me the shivers.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your part of what looks like a wonderful and thought provoking exhibition Michelle. How interesting that a coyote crossed your path on the way home - certainly makes you wonder about the nuances of the universe. Another Personal Histories artist (Heather Matthew) curated an Australian exhibition of "A Book About Death" at the Tweed River Gallery last year. There is a slideshow of works on the site if you're interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about Heather's work. I will definitely look for it. I appreciate your comments. Your comment prompted me to visit the Personal Histories blog - you have done a wonderful job of documenting the show. It looks beautiful and the space itself is amazing. I wish I could come to Australia to see it in person!

      Delete