Sunday, August 12, 2012

what happens when



Generally speaking, I am of two minds about most things in life.  Perhaps my need for dichotomy of contrast and comparison is my way of understanding that which I am considering;  absences defines presence, past defines future, need defines fulfillment.

At this moment my studio practice is split between creating images with written language and images that are less specific and based in the visual; cerebral versus ephemeral.  I could say that this division is my attempt to define the edges and thus the content of the two forms.  However, in my effort to be honest, I can't really say that with any integrity.  The truth of the matter is I am making and trying to avoid the analysis.

Moving forward from the aprons, my interest is still in memory but also giving voice and life to thoughts on loss and identity.  Whereas the aprons stood as memorials, the direction I am concerned with now is naming the unnameable; making visible the overarching yet less tangible matters in life.

What Happens When is an appropriated image with bits of the original text combined with altered text.  I have not changed the drawing or the structure of the page only reworked the words.





No comments:

Post a Comment