Thursday, June 23, 2016

More Quilts

Saffran   I Wanted To Sing Like Joni Mitchell   23" x 23"  sewn photographs   2016

detail
detail


Saffran  Before We Disappointed Each Other  23" x 23"  sewn photographs  2016


detail
detail 
My work continues on the series of paper quilts for the 1969 series.  I Wanted To Sing Like Joni Mitchell and Before We Disappointed Each Other are the two most recent images pieced together from that same group of 5 snapshots (all taken at my twelfth birthday party) that the earlier two quilt pieces were made from.  My goal is five new pieces to mirror the five originals.  Forcing myself to meet this goal has pushed me to look and look and look again at the same few snapshots and dig beyond their surface to see what else may be there.  On the face of it these source images seem to deny a deeper exploration.  They are simply what they are, yellowed with age poorly composed records of one evening forty-seven years ago.  The longer I study the snapshots the more detached I become from them.  Its like repeating a familiar word over and over to yourself until it becomes strange and removed from its meaning.  Searching the faces and analyzing the gestures of my family and preteen self I find no meaning, locate no memories.  In a sort of backwards projection these snapshots have become a repository for everything I now know.  Their meaning comes, not from what they literally recorded, but from all the events of my life that came after that night.

1 comment:

  1. It’s really great to post my comments on such a blog. I would like to appreciate the great work done by the web master and would like to tell everyone that they should post their interesting comments and should make this blog interesting. Once again I would like to say keep it up to blog owner!!!!

    ReplyDelete